2007 has come and gone in the blink of a shimmering, lined eye. Before She raises Her glass and puts on Her party hat, The Beauty Bug reflects on 2007 – the trends, the products, and the colors:
- The Bob – from the ever-changing, newly glamorous Katie Holmes to Posh Beckham to Rihanna, fashion-forward women everywhere were clipping pictures from fashion magazines and running to their hair stylists.
- Boots No. 7 Restore and Renew Serum – Luckily, this product has seen its day and it’s 15 minutes of fame are over. Now that it’s readily available, the buzz has completely died. It’s all about simple supply and demand – maybe Boots just needs some basic econ 101.
- Eco-Friendly Products – Paraben became a buzzword in 2007, and there was much to do about the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics report on the lead content in lipstick. Because of this, consumers have turned to eco-friendly products such as CARGO’s PlantLove lipsticks – a collection of beautifully sheer environmentally-friendly lipsticks. Even the lipstick tube is made entirely out of corn. Read The Beauty Bug’s entire review here. The mineral makeup craze continued, and a more educated consumer learned to examine the list of ingredients on all products a bit more carefully.
- Winged eyeliner – This year, women everywhere were channeling Cleopatra and Amy Winehouse through their eye makeup. Short or long, wide or skinny, winged or flat, a bold line on the top lid always makes a statement. Angelina Jolie never sets foot on the red carpet without cat-eye makeup, and in 2007 women took that extra 5 minutes in the morning to perfect that straight line. The Beauty Bug is currently coveting MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack.
- RevaléSkin – One of the first Organiceuticals, RevaléSkin made its mark on the skincare industry in 2007. Touted as one of the most antioxidant fruits, coffeeberries made headlines in 2007. In a recent interview with Allure Beauty Director Amy Keller, She revealed to The Beauty Bug that one of her top 3 products of 2007 was RevaléSkin.
- Red Lips – The classic red lips continue to occupy a spot on all current “it” lists year after year. As chic and fashionable as a great accessory or clutch purse, red lips are bold, classic, sophisticated and sexy at the same time. Just as the sun rises in the east, and Britney lacks parenting skills, red lips are a constant – they will never go out of style. For this reason, The Beauty Bug hopes that this “trend” will transcend all lists in 2008.
- Blondes to Brunettes, and Back Again – Britney, Lindsay Lohan, Posh Beckham and many other celebs were changing their hair color as often as they changed their shoes in 2007. From the biggest A-listers (Cameron Diaz) , to the semi-unknowns (Mena Suvari, Brittany Murphy), changing one’s hair color didn’t turn many heads this year.
- Shameless Lack of Undergarmets – This trend is so repulsive and disgusting that The Beauty Bug can’t help but wince while typing this. The amount of crotch shots on sites such as TheSuperficial and Perezhilton were far from lacking, and The Beauty Bug is and was so appalled that She’s nearly speechless. This was one trend that She didn’t see coming. Let’s hope that in 2008 these publicity-craving celebs remember their underwear. Perhaps Starbucks should start selling thongs.
Happy New Year!