The Science of Color with The Three Custom Color Specialists

color_studio1.jpgOn a relatively quiet side street in Chelsea, in a serene modern setting, there lies the Three Custom Color Specialists Color Studio – or what The Beauty Bug likes to call every women’s playground. Upon entering the studio and speaking with co-founder Chad Hayduk, The Beauty Bug was introduced to a whole new world of color science. The studio was founded in 1997 in response to the growing demand for customization within the cosmetics industry, and to recreate those treasured, can’t-live-without discontinued colors. The lab attached to the studio is filled with more than 8,000 lipstick archives and recipes that are the results of the hundreds of requests that women send in every week.

First, Chad performed a quick color test on The Beauty Bug by applying 2 very different eye shadows to the backsides of her wrists – a cool, icy silvery shadow with a slight blue tinge next to a warm amber bronze color. Little did She know, this simple color test would speak volumes about not only Her skin tone, but Her wardrobe as well. Because the cool color blended into Her skin well, Chad determined that Her skin has cool undertones. The Beauty Bug is part of the 25% of the population that has cool undertones, while the other 75% has warm. “We work in the same way an artist creates paints for their palettes,” Chad explained. “We match for undertone, overtone, texture, coverage, and special effects such as shimmer. From this recipe, we manufacture the product. From there, this recipe remains in our permanent files for easy re-ordering.”

Chad next explained the biggest mistakes women make when it comes to color…

“Women can do two things: either pick a color that’s too bold for their skin or too muddy for their skin. Going either direction can enhance problems. For example, a color that is too drab may enhance the gray of dark circles. The most important thing that will steer you in the right direction is to determine whether you are warm or cool- for picking colors that are foolproof. And, this way, you CAN wear any color, just make sure that you choose the right undertone.”

The most requested shade of lipstick…

Revlon’s Naked Pink (see color below). Yes, The Beauty Bug knows what you’re thinking – it’s a bit Boca Raton/Magda from Something About Mary-ish

naked_pink.jpg

To submit a request for a lipstick (discontinued or not), just send Custom Three a color swatch – a piece of fabric, the last bit of lipstick from a tube – and they’ll have the perfect match back to you within 10 business days. Search their discontinued list, or submit a request of your own.

The most requested look for spring…

Chad explains that “For lips we’re seeing a demand for more of a stain, less shine, and less full coverage. Such as our SKI BUNNY Lip and & Cheek stain. The look has a vibrancy that’s more transparent. For the face this spring it’s definitely more bronze and contoured. Also, lots of black eyeliner because the lips are so muted.”

Finally, Chad treated The Beauty Bug to a custom blended lip gloss. Because red is always a tough color to wear everyday, The Beauty Bug chose a gloss with a red base, and Chad worked his magic. He eventually ended up with a raspberry color, trying to bring out the green in Her eyes.

lipgolss11.jpg
lipgloss2.jpg

Three Custom Color Specialists celebrity clients include Jessica Biel, Penelope Cruz, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Marcia Cross, Angelina Jolie, Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, Michele Williams, among many others.

To schedule an appointment for a one-on-one color consultation, check their website, or call 1-888-262-7714.

3 Responses to The Science of Color with The Three Custom Color Specialists

  1. Shannon

    Wow! It sounds like you had a blast and learned so much! I can’t wait to meet up with them this week!

    Hope to see you in a few days!

    xo

  2. Beauty 365

    Wow!

    This is sooooo cool!

  3. Alarming Darling

    I envy you. If I ever go to NYC, that’s definitely on my list.

Leave a Reply