As Kermit The Frog said, “It’s not easy being green.” The same goes for a beauty product. A product is considered eco-friendly and “green” if it’s:
- Made from environmentally friendly materials – These are the products made of materials that can be recycled after the product is used.
- Free from harmful chemicals and compounds – Here’s that buzz word that you’re starting to hear more and more. Parabens. Parabens are the most widely used group of chemicals used as preservatives in many beauty and personal care products. To qualify as an eco-friendly product, no parabens or any other chemicals can be used.
- Does not deplete the environment during production and transportation – Factories that reduce their dependence upon natural resources, actively recycle, and take other action to reduce their impact upon the environment are eco-friendly. Products that are minimally packaged, preferably with recycled materials, also fit this criterion.
Below are a sampling of “green”products:
1. Physicians Formula Organic Wear – This line is the first ever ECOCERT certified makeup line available in the US. It’s 100% free of harsh chemicals, synthetic preservatives, and parabens, and all the packaging is recyclable. The best part? With this new line comes the first ever dual-compartment paper compact which uses 93% less plastic than a traditional compact. If every woman bought an Organic Wear compact 4,586 tons of plastic would be saved each year.
2. de-luxe Foaming Body Scrub – A top seller on DrugStore.com, de-luxe Foaming Body Scrub is a luxurious green product. Free of harsh detergents and preservatives, this biodegradable product is also cruelty free (no animal testing). At $3.60, it won’t break the bank either. It’s a favorite of The Beauty Bug’s because it’s the only body scrub that She’s encountered that both exfoliates and foams. For other similar products, visit DrugStore.com’s Green and Natural Store.
3. Beautorium.com – A completely “green” marketplace that features beauty brands from around the world that are not only environmentally-friendly, but some are exclusive and new to the U.S. Want to give your medicine cabinet a “green” makeover? Look no further than The Beautorium.
4. Tweezerman’s Go Green Tweezers – A smaller version of the award-winning Slant Tweezer, the greener and smaller pair is helping to build trees. Tweezerman will donate $1 from every sale of these tweezers to the National Arbor Foundation.
5. CARGO’s PlantLove Lipstick – The Beauty bug already gushed about these, but now CARGO has launched more shades created by celebrity mothers Denise Richards, Angie Harmon, and Kim Raver. PlantLove is a revolutionary lipstick housed in a biodegradable tube made entirely out of corn. The outer carton is made from flower paper embedded with real flower seeds, so plant it, watch it grow, and give back to the earth. Need another reason to buy these green-fabulous lipsticks? $2.00 from each tube sold is donated to St. Jude’s Pediatrics Research Hospital.
6. Kiehl’s Environmental Initiative – To encourage environmental consciousness, this Earth Day, the first 50 people that return empty Kiehl’s bottles to one of their free-standing stores for recycling will receive a Kiehl’s reusable canvas tote bag that they may use to help reduce their consumption of disposable shopping bags. Kiehl’s continues to be committed to the environment, and use organic ingredients and recyclable materials.
7. Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer – A list of Earth Day green products without a mention of Burt’s Bees is like a daytime moisturizer without SPF. It’s just not right. Burt’s Bees makes earth-friendly personal care products without parabens or artificial preservatives. The Beauty Bug especially likes this Lip Shimmer with its pearlized shine. Made from the famous Beeswax Lip Balm, the tube is made from 92% post-consumer recycled plastic.
8. Organix Soft & Silky Vanilla Silk Collection – Discovering the Organix line has been the best drug store find for The Beauty Bug in a long while. She’s absolutely obsessed! As its name states, all products contain organic active ingredients and are sulfate free. The Silky Vanilla Collection, and the White Tea Grapeseed Collection have Her smelling her shiny, moisturized hair all day. The Beauty Bug can’t wait to try the Mocha Espresso shampoo and conditioner.
What’s your favorite green product?